- Advancing Eco Agriculture (AEA) has hired Dr. Laura Kavanaugh as its new Chief Science Officer.
- Dr. Kavanaugh aims to further develop the science behind regenerative farming to drive its widespread adoption.
- She will focus on how DNA sequencing and advanced technologies can demonstrate the power of plant-microbe interactions in regenerative agriculture.
- Dr. Kavanaugh has a rich background in genetics, genomics, and engineering, and has previously worked at Syngenta and founded her own company, Genome Insights, LLC.
- AEA offers a range of products and services aimed at promoting regenerative agriculture, including plant sap analysis and educational content.
Advancing Eco Agriculture (AEA), a leading farm consultancy and nutritional products company, has announced the appointment of Dr. Laura Kavanaugh as its new Chief Science Officer (CSO). This strategic move aims to strengthen the scientific foundation of regenerative agriculture and promote its benefits for both farmers and the environment.
The Role of the New CSO
In her new role, Dr. Kavanaugh will be responsible for leading all science, research, and development activities at AEA. One of her primary areas of focus will be on leveraging DNA sequencing and other advanced technologies to understand plant-microbe interactions, which are central to regenerative agriculture. “I want AEA to be a leader in driving this transition,” said Dr. Kavanaugh, emphasizing her commitment to making regenerative farming more scientific and widely adopted.
A Rich Background
Dr. Kavanaugh holds a Ph.D. in Genetics and Genomics from Duke University and has a strong background in mechanical and chemical engineering. Before joining AEA, she worked for nearly 12 years at Syngenta as a Senior Computational Biologist and Team Lead for Comparative Genomics. Her experience also includes founding her own company, Genome Insights, LLC, and working as a soil health expert at Union Grove Farm, a regenerative vineyard.
Impact on Agriculture
The appointment of Dr. Kavanaugh is expected to have a significant impact on the agriculture sector. By advancing the science behind regenerative farming, AEA aims to shift the perception of this farming approach from anecdotal to highly scientific. This could lead to wider adoption of regenerative practices, which are not only more profitable but also healthier for people and the planet.
In addition to hiring a new CSO, AEA offers a comprehensive range of products and services to support regenerative agriculture. These include biologicals, nutritionals, microbial and fungal inoculants, and liquid macronutrients. The company also provides customized farm programs, consultations, and an innovative plant testing process called Plant Sap Analysis.
Image provided by AEA