- NovelFarm, Italy’s exclusive agritech, indoor, and vertical farming event, is scheduled for March 20-21, 2024, at the Pordenone exhibition center.
- The event focuses on the latest innovations in vertical farming, featuring leading investors and financial institutions like Agricola Moderna, Planet Farms, and Kilometro Verde.
- Fri-El Green Power invests €220 million in geothermal energy to power hydroponic systems, emphasizing the industry’s move toward sustainable energy.
- The sector faces rising costs and supply chain inefficiencies, highlighting the need for reform.
- Co-located with NovelFarm, the third edition of AlgaeFarm will discuss the cultivation and applications of microalgae.
NovelFarm, the only event in Italy dedicated to agritech, indoor, and vertical farming, is gearing up for its next edition on March 20-21, 2024. Hosted at the Pordenone Exhibition Center, the event promises to showcase the latest advancements in the rapidly evolving field of agriculture technology.
A Hotspot for Investment and Innovation
Vertical farming has caught the attention of Italy’s leading investors and financial institutions, including Agricola Moderna, Planet Farms, and Kilometro Verde. These organizations are keenly interested in the potential of vertical farming to revolutionize agriculture, making it more efficient and sustainable.
Sustainability Takes the Front Seat
Fri-El Green Power, an agritech company, has invested €220 million in a geothermal installation to power its hydroponic systems. This move is part of the H2ORTO line of tomatoes and signifies a significant step toward sustainable energy supply in agriculture.
Challenges and Opportunities
However, the industry is not without its challenges. IV-Gamma, another player in the field, faced significant slowdowns last summer due to rising energy, transport, and fertilizer costs. These challenges underscore the need for a radical overhaul of the supply chain, possibly through adopting Km0 urban agriculture, which aims for a simpler and shorter logistics chain.
A Glimpse into the Future
Renato Pujatti, President of Pordenone Fiere, expressed enthusiasm about the event, stating, “NovelFarm and AlgaeFarm represent an important project for Pordenone Fiere, our glimpse into the future of the agri-food industry and much more.”
More Than Just NovelFarm
In addition to NovelFarm, the third edition of AlgaeFarm will also take place. This event, in partnership with AISAM – Italian Association for the Study and Applications of Microalgae and under the patronage of EABA – European Algae Biomass Association, will focus on the cultivation and applications of microalgae.
A Growing Event
Since its inception in 2020, NovelFarm has seen significant growth. The last edition, co-located with AquaFarm, recorded a 62% growth compared to 2022, featuring 130 exhibitors, 35% of whom were from abroad, and nearly 7,000 square meters of exhibition area.
Registration and Attendance
Attendance for NovelFarm is free, and interested parties can register online at www.novelfarmexpo.it/en.