- Financial Performance: Net earnings of $82 million with $0.15 diluted net earnings per share. Adjusted net earnings per share was $0.35 and adjusted EBITDA was $1.1 billion.
- Market Strength: Record potash sales volumes and increased demand in North America indicate strong market fundamentals.
- Strategic Focus: Initiatives to strengthen integrated business, drive operational efficiencies, and increase free cash flow.
- Capital Allocation: Balanced and disciplined approach, including returning meaningful capital to shareholders.
- Guidance Adjustment: Full year 2023 adjusted EBITDA guidance narrowed to $5.8 to $6.4 billion and adjusted net earnings per share revised to $4.15 to $5.00.
Nutrien Ltd. (TSX and NYSE: NTR) announced its third quarter 2023 results, showcasing a solid financial performance with net earnings of $82 million and $0.15 diluted net earnings per share. The adjusted net earnings per share stood at $0.35, and the adjusted EBITDA reached $1.1 billion, reflecting the strength of agriculture and crop nutrient market fundamentals in North America.
Record Sales and Market Optimism
President and CEO Ken Seitz commented on the results, highlighting the record potash sales volumes and increased level of demand and market stability in the second half of 2023. The company remains optimistic about the outlook for the business and is committed to efficiently serving the needs of its customers.
Strategic Initiatives and Capital Allocation
Nutrien is focusing on initiatives that strengthen the advantages of its integrated business model. These initiatives aim to drive operational efficiencies and increase free cash flow. The company expects growth from highly targeted investment projects and maintains a balanced and disciplined approach to capital allocation, including returning meaningful capital to shareholders.
Financial Highlights and Adjustments
In the first nine months of 2023, Nutrien generated net earnings of $1.1 billion and adjusted EBITDA of $5.0 billion. However, these figures were down from the record levels achieved over the comparable period in 2022. The decline in adjusted EBITDA was primarily due to lower net realized fertilizer prices across all segments and lower Nutrien Ag Solutions earnings.
Retail adjusted EBITDA declined to $197 million in the third quarter, primarily due to lower gross margin for crop protection products. Potash adjusted EBITDA declined to $611 million due to lower net realized selling prices despite record sales volumes. Nitrogen-adjusted EBITDA declined to $294 million due to lower net realized selling prices and sales volumes.
Shareholder Returns and Guidance
Nutrien returned $1.8 billion to shareholders in the first nine months of 2023 through dividends and share repurchases. The full-year 2023 adjusted EBITDA guidance was narrowed to $5.8 to $6.4 billion, and adjusted net earnings per share guidance was revised to $4.15 to $5.00 per share.