- Rewind, a BiCRS company, announces a $5M seed funding round to enhance its carbon dioxide removal technology.
- The company utilizes the Black Sea’s anoxic seabed for permanent carbon storage, a scalable and sustainable solution.
- Rewind’s first customer, Supercritical, underscores the market’s confidence in this innovative approach.
- The funding includes contributions from notable investors and organizations supporting a pilot project 400 times larger than previous experiments.
- Rewind aims to sequester a gigaton of CO2 by 2030, adhering to strict environmental and safety standards.
Introduction to Rewind’s Carbon Removal Initiative
Rewind, a biomass carbon removal and storage (BiCRS) company, has recently announced a significant milestone in its journey towards sustainable carbon dioxide removal. The company has secured $5M in seed funding, a crucial step in deploying a scalable and permanent solution to carbon dioxide removal.
Innovative Approach to Carbon Dioxide Removal
Rewind’s unique method leverages the Black Sea’s natural capacity to store carbon dioxide. The sea’s anoxic seabed, devoid of oxygen, allows for preserving organic matter and, consequently, storing CO2. Rewind enhances this natural process by transporting agricultural and forestry residue to the bottom of the Black Sea, effectively utilizing it as a vast carbon sink.
Strategic Partnerships and Funding
The company’s diverse funding sources include a $250K R&D grant from Frontier, $1M from the Israeli Government Innovation Fund, and contributions from various venture funds and investors. This financial support will aid Rewind in scaling up its operations, including an upcoming pilot project significantly more significant than its predecessors. Additionally, Rewind has announced Supercritical, a London-based carbon removal marketplace, as its first customer, marking a significant endorsement of its technology.
Commitment to Monitoring and Verification
Rewind strongly emphasizes Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) processes. The company meticulously tracks each step of the carbon dioxide removal process, ensuring credibility and accuracy. This comprehensive approach allows partners to witness the real-time impact of their carbon credit purchases.
Future Prospects and Goals
Looking forward, Rewind is poised for substantial growth. The company aims to sequester a gigaton of CO2 by 2030, focusing on collecting robust scientific data to ensure the permanence of its carbon capture methods. Throughout its endeavors, Rewind remains dedicated to maintaining the highest environmental safety and sustainability standards.