- Whole Foods Market’s Trends Council has released its ninth-annual Trends Predictions report, forecasting the top 10 food trends in 2024.
- The report highlights a shift back to basics in plant-based foods, emphasizing whole ingredients like mushrooms, walnuts, and legumes.
- Water conservation and stewardship are gaining traction, with brands focusing on sustainable water usage.
- Complex heat from global peppers and caffeine with added benefits are among the trends to watch.
- Women’s health is moving from taboo to top of mind, with food and beverage products targeting various life stages.
Whole Foods Market’s Trends Council has unveiled its top 10 anticipated food trends in 2024. The list is a compilation of insights from more than 50 Whole Foods Market team members, including foragers, buyers, and culinary experts. The trends range from plant-based cuisine and water conservation to complex heat from global peppers.
Back to Basics in Plant-Based Foods
The Whole Foods report indicates a return to the roots of plant-based cuisine, focusing on whole ingredients like mushrooms, walnuts, tempeh, and legumes. This shift simplifies labels and offers more natural alternatives to complex meat substitutes.
Water Conservation and Stewardship
Water conservation is another significant trend, with brands using water from fruit by-products and promoting soil health initiatives that conserve water. The trend extends to household cleaners and personal care products, emphasizing ingredient-conscious formulations.
Complex Heat from Global Peppers
The love for heat is evolving, with a focus on specialty varieties like Scorpion Peppers, Guajillo, and Hungarian Goathorn Peppers. These peppers appear in various forms, from fresh and whole to ground and pickled, adding complexity to dishes.
Caffeine with Added Benefits
The Whole Foods report also highlights the trend of “clean caffeine,” where coffee and energy drinks are being enhanced with added benefits like mushrooms and probiotics. This trend aims to offer a more health-conscious approach to caffeine consumption.
Women’s Health in Focus
Women’s health is becoming a priority, with brands offering products that support periods, pregnancy, postpartum, and menopause. From specially formulated bars and snacks to supplements, the industry is paying attention to women’s health needs.
Other Notable Trends In The Whole Foods Report
- Use the Whole Cacao: Brands like Blue Stripes utilize the entire cacao fruit, offering a new sugar alternative without compromising flavor.
- Buckle Up for Buckwheat: Buckwheat is gaining popularity as a superfood seed containing protein, carbs, and fiber.
- Fancy Faux Fish: Plant-based seafood brands are stepping up, offering alternatives like carrots for lox and trumpet mushrooms for scallops.
- Little Luxuries: The trend of small indulgences, like an impulse macaron buy or a fizzy beverage, is rising.
- Noodle News: Brands are offering more gourmet options for instant noodles, focusing on quality ingredients and flavors.
Image provided by Whole Foods